Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Introduction to Windows Forms Applications with MSDN Tutorials

Up until a week or so ago, I'd never tried to program a Windows forms application. I had, in fact, never used a graphic programming system at all, instead opting for the comfort of text editors, with all their pretty code highlighting, syntax checking, code completion, and snippets.  Intellisense and I are starting to get real friendly. But I realized it was time for me to venture out of my comfort zone, so when I found these tutorials on the MSDN site, I was salivating at the chance to work through them. And work through them I did. These were pretty basic little tutorials, but definitely a good way to get one's feet wet.



The first was a simple picture viewer, and was the only one of the three to include video's, which were basically narrated screencasts.  I think this helped with the initial acclimation, since I'm still new to Visual Studio. After working through the short series of videos, here is the end product (well, a picture of it anyway):


The next one was a math quiz, which sat about half finished for a week and a half or so while I was in a class (NOT programming related unfortunately but that didn't stop me from parking my nose in MSDN articles the whole week ha!).  Once I got free again I managed to finish it.  Nothing earth shattering but again, just a simple introductory type program:


The last one I finished up today, a matching game. There were some "optional" kinds of exercises related to modifying and customizing each of these programs that I skipped over, maybe if I get around to them I'll post about them again, though I'm not sure such basic material warrants multiple posts (pageviews ftw!). Here is the matching game:




No comments:

Post a Comment